The Philadelphia Police Department Homeland Security Unit is always seeking information regarding suspicious activity and they need your help. Forward any information to them, no matter how insignificant it may appear:
- Call: 215-685-1170 or 215-685-1171
- Email: Police.HomelandSecurity@phila.gov
If you see someone or something suspicious that may cause immediate life-threatening danger, report it to the nearest police or security officer, or call 9-1-1.
- A suspicious person may be someone who is:
- In an unauthorized area;
- In the wrong place or appears lost;
- Dressed in oversize clothing that appears to be concealing something; and
- Not wearing company ID in a facility where a visible badge is required.
Suspicious activity may be a person who is:
- Photographing, recording or sketching the exterior of a facility that would arouse suspicion beyond of a reasonable person;
- Loitering and/or watching customers or employees;
- Acting in a disorderly manner that alarms or disturbs others;
- Demonstrating unusual interest in facilities, buildings or infrastructure beyond mere casual or professional interest;
- Claiming to be a delivery person, contractor, law enforcement officer, reporter or service technician without proper identification;
- Questioning individuals at a level beyond mere curiosity about particular facets of a facility;
- Asking specific questions about key personnel;
- Testing security interactions with or challenges to installations, personnel or systems that reveal physical , personnel or cyber security capabilities; and
- Attempting to obtain or conduct training in security concepts or other unusual capabilities (military weapons or tactics).
A suspicious item or vehicle that may have:
- Any unattended bag, box, container, luggage or package in a public or general area;
- Tanks or bottles of chemicals;
- Unidentified mist, gas, vapor or odor;
- Liquids appearing to be leaking or seeping from suspicious items;
- An unidentifiable object with visible wires, antennas, batteries, timing devices, pipes with the ends covered, etc.; and
- Any visibly dangerous weapons or explosives.
Take note of the location of the suspicious item and vehicle license plate. Refrain from using any cellular or radio device within 50 feet of a suspicious item.