Philadelphia Fire Commissioner Derrick J.V. Sawyer and the Philadelphia Fire Department's Fire Prevention Division offer fire safety tips for decorating a tree during the holidays.
Each year, during the Holiday Season, the Philadelphia Fire Department's Fire Prevention Division promotes fire safety to educate citizens on the proper care and maintenance of live trees.
Select a fresh tree:
- Purchase a tree as close as possible to the holiday.
- Test that the branches are pliable.
- Make sure there is sap on the base of the tree where it was cut.
- If the needles are falling off, choose another tree.
- Make a fresh 1-inch cut at the base of the tree.
- Place tree firmly in the tree stand with plenty of room for water.
- Check water level daily.
- Check electrical cords for wear.
- Never overload electrical outlets.
- Never leave a lighted tree unattended.
- Don't let the tree block exits or stairs.
- Keep the tree away from portable heaters or any heat source.
- Be sure the tree is free of ornaments and decorations before disposal or recycling.
- Take the tree down as soon as the needles start to fall off.
- Place the tree untied and free of decorations outdoors in a safe area until trash day.